JANUARY 2014 - ONLINE MARKETING TRENDS
NEWS WEBSITES: 7% OF TRAFFIC COMES FROM FACEBOOK
Published on the 13/03/14 – Social networks have become essential for companies’ online strategies. As referrers for news websites, they use them everyday to publish and increase the value of contents. In the space of a year, visits coming from Facebook have risen sharply.
News websites – January 2014: 7.1% of traffic from Facebook, 1.2% from Twitter, all traffic sources considered
For the purposes of this study we have taken into consideration 18 leading French news websites audited by AT Internet solutions.
For all visits, after the different traffic sources were considered for French news websites in January 2014:
- The average share of the Facebook website as a referrer was 7.1%,
- The average share of the Twitter website was 1.2% for the same period, in other words almost six times less than Facebook (difference in the number of users, cross-section covering only traffic that comes from the website, etc.).
- By way of comparison, we have also taken an in-depth look at the traffic coming from the leading search engine used in France, Google. Search engines and social networks are not used in the same way, although this comparison gives us a ballpark figure for their respective shares as traffic sources. For French news websites in January 2014, Google’s visit share was 39.1%, in other words more than 5 times greater than Facebook, but the gap is narrowing as Google’s visit share was 12 times greater than Facebook’s a year ago in February 2013 (40.2%/3.3%).
News websites: +4 points for the FACEBOOK referrer in the space of a year
The Facebook website’s visit share more than doubled in the space of a year, Twitter’s continues to remain stable
- The average share of traffic from the Facebook website, as a referrer for news websites, rose from 3.1% in January 2013 to 7.1% in January 2014, with the average traffic share rising on a monthly basis since September (between +0.3 points and +1 point), except for January 2014, stable vs. December 2013.
- The average share of traffic for the Twitter website is between 1.1% and 1.3% depending on the month concerned, to remain stable over the space of a year.
News websites: almost 40% of referrer site traffic comes from Facebook
The following graph shows the average visit share recorded by the Facebook and Twitter websites (except for applications, widgets, etc.) for referrer site traffic. For referrer site traffic:
- On average for French news websites, 38.9% of traffic came from the Facebook website in January 2014 (vs 23.1% a year earlier in February 2013),
- 7.7% of traffic came from the Twitter website, on average for French news websites (8.1% a year ago).
ON OUR BLOG
THE LATEST TRENDS IN DIGITAL ANALYTICS
Chrome ID, the future of cookies, mobile awards, the GDPR in Ireland, eco-analytics and the effect of the Corona on Corona! Article Catching up: Chrome…
In addition to the reliability of our solution's analytical core, we are adding three new key ingredients to deliver the best of Digital Marketing, Product…
Data Query 3 introduces advanced segmentation – a touch of Data Science for your e-commerce analytics – and a more comprehensive alerting system: just some…